Metynnis altidorsalis und Schwimmpflanzen

• hallo Frank :-)/~

ich weiß ja nicht...was du alles schon probiert hast...

anubias wären meine wahl...sind ja auch barsch-fest... ;)

oder probier mal ne kleine see-oder teich-rose für dein aquarium... ;)

aber vorsicht...sind schwach giftig... :!:

mfg micha. :)

• There are several plants that I have been able to see thrive with my Metynnis spp. silver dollars, including my only specimen of M. altidorsalis (an adult male). I hope to get one or two female altidorsalis in the near future.

In the photo, he is in the foreground, the two other specimens are male M. lippincotianus. Floating plants (in floating corral) are Salvinia, place there as food, and replaced regularly. Rooted plants (not food) are Cryptocoryne wendii 'bronze' on floor mat at left, Microsorum pteropus (on wood, -but can be left floating), and Hygrophila sp. (at left, also could be left floating). In the back, there is some Bacopa monnieri, but they do eat that plant too much.

The same fish when he was in my other planted silver dollar tank, together with M. maculatus, and L. lipponcotianus. Same plants, plus rooted, Cryptocoryne usteriana. He is at left, bottom, partially covered.

In all his splendor ..

I am now in the process of consolidating my 2 Metynnis tanks into a single, larger planted tank, currently being set up. I will soon show it here!

Good luck!

• Hallo

oder probier mal ne kleine see-oder teich-rose für dein aquarium...

Den Versuch kannst du aber auch lassen, da es höchstwahrscheinlich sowieso nichts wird.

Seerosen brauchen ein anderes Klima und den (einheimischen) Temperaturwechsel. Und dementsprechende Pflanzen brauchen auch entsprechendes Licht, welches im Aquarium meist bei entsprechender Wassertiefe nicht gegeben ist.

Falls du es probieren willst, dann höchstens mit Lotus. Aber da müsstest du die Pflanzen vermutlich lange vor den Fischen im Becken haben, damit sie Anwachsen und austreiben können. Ansonsten werden vermutlich alle neuen Triebe entweder abgefressen oder abgebrochen.

Was funktionieren könnte wären Anubias. Und vielleicht Schwimmfarm.

Grüße Bernd!

"Es ist eine gefährliche Sache, aus deiner Haustür hinaus zu gehen. Du betrittst die Straße, und wenn du nicht auf deine Füße aufpasst, kann man nicht wissen wohin sie dich tragen."
    (J.R.R.Tolkien, Der Herr der Ringe)

Benders Badewanne Benders Kellerregal

Für neuen Bildschirm bitte genau hier (X) bohren.

• Moin zusammen ! Da mußt du mal kleinere Silber-Pacus im Becken haben..... KEINE CHANCE ! Eine gute Zeit, Claus.

Ein mongolisches Sprichwort: Berge können sich nicht miteinander unterhalten, aber MENSCHEN ! ;)[bestand]1869[/bestand]

• Thank you!

I don't know for sure how it has worked for me, but I can say that it has worked twice, in two different tanks, and this has been going on for nearly 4 years. As I said earlier, I am currently setting up a third tank (6 feet long), where all silver dollars will be consolidated. There will be a total of 12 fish, 4 species of Metynnis.

The tank has been running for 2 weeks now, has been planted (with the same plant species as I had success before + 4 additional species which I will be trying out with the dollars). I am letting the plants get a good hold, become well established, and only then will introduce the Metynnis. Prior to that, some Otocinclus, Corydoras and some Colombian tetras (H. columbianus) will be introduced.

I have some 'Hypotheses' as to how to explain my apparent success with Metynnis spp. in planted aquaria. I don't know which of these explain more, but I think all play some role -

Hyp. 1 - Some plants are unpalatable to them, hence they don't eat them or not beyond trying it.

Hyp. 2 - For whatever reasons, some of my individual fish don't seem to eat the plants (at least not much), and other fish can 'learn' from them. I should be able to use 'good role models' to teach new fish. My fish have come to me at 3 different times, the oldest (26 year olds) arriving first.

Hyp. 3 - Some plant eating is OK (on certain specific fast-growing plants), so long as it is not excessive and the plants can grow fast enough so as not to decline over time, thus maintaining themselves and looking good.

Yet another set of possibilities is related to how I feed them. I provide a varied diet, including 7 different types of pellets and flakes (insect & veggie based), frozen (insect, crustacean + Spirulina enriched), seeds and grains (sunflower + garbanzo), veggies (cucumber + nori). In addition, I provide frogbit + duckweed as permanent floating plants for food.

The truth is I don't really know the secret, but are enjoying some success, and I am trying to understand it and attain it once more in yet another tank.

Photo - Nori for breakfast!

Cheers!