Beiträge von FranciscoB

That is an awesome tank and overall setup. Filtration seems superb, and the and plants look happy and healthy. Lucky you to be able to have such a setup in your home.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

The tetras - Hard to tell, but 2 species shown. The shape of anal fins cant be seen well against the background.

The upper one resembles a Phenacogaster.

Very nice!

You can get a partial list at http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com, Forums, Vendors (you don't need to be a member to browse, but you do need to register to participate or access contacts. Feel welcome to register and participate!)

Below is a screen shot of the list currently available at the link above. Some if the vendors listed are no longer active, or have had little recent activity. Others (with recent dates) are fully active. Many good vendors in North America are not listed in the link above.

Some of them are:

The Wet Spot

Tangled up in cichlids (nor only cichlids)

Aquabid (auction-like site, many vendors)

Good luck!!

So they don't eat the plants too much (hopefully)...

Nori (on clip), frog bit (in floating corral).

All plants and decorations natural. Relatively recently set-up new tank.

8 adult Metynnis, 3 species (altidorsalis, lippincotianus, maculatus).

10 different plant species (frog bit meant to be eaten).

Hi Ralf,

I am not familiar with that particular product, nor have tried other commercially available humic substance formulations. However, I do put a few magnolia leaves in all my tanks (year round, from my backyard). I am not certain they help, but they do produce a slight tint in the water, and my fishes are healthy and go through breeding motions (including mock breeding and displaying) frequently. I replace the leaves every other week. I also have large pieces of driftwood in all tanks, but as yours, they probably don't release much any more.

I do believe the addition of the leaves brings positive effects, even if they may not be dramatic and of I cannot fully demonstrate the beneficial effects. Conversely, I have not noticed any deleterious effects.

I am not certain of what is a " 36W UVC clarifier", which you say you have "currently in continuous use, has any effects on the humic substances, similar to drugs or water conditioners."

I assume it is some sort of ultraviolet device?, but I am uncertain why is deemed necessary. Regarding medicines, those should be used rarely or very hardly often so medicine removal needs should also be rare. Regarding water conditioners (dechlorinators?) Those may not need to be removed at all.

So I cannot not answer any of your questions, except to say I do use leaves (thought to release tannic substances) and believe them to have been beneficial.

Good luck!

Francisco

Beautiful tank!

The way I see it, it is a personal choice, itself dependent on what else you have going on.

For myself, I consider that few plants require the CO2, most can benefit from it but don't strictly need it, and yet others couldn't care less less (grow ok even if slow without it).

And again, for myself, getting the CO2, constantly having to tweak things, and dealing with pH fluctuations, is just not worth the hassle.

I would use weekly fert and occasional root tabs, and call it done.

Good luck!

Thank you!

I don't know for sure how it has worked for me, but I can say that it has worked twice, in two different tanks, and this has been going on for nearly 4 years. As I said earlier, I am currently setting up a third tank (6 feet long), where all silver dollars will be consolidated. There will be a total of 12 fish, 4 species of Metynnis.

The tank has been running for 2 weeks now, has been planted (with the same plant species as I had success before + 4 additional species which I will be trying out with the dollars). I am letting the plants get a good hold, become well established, and only then will introduce the Metynnis. Prior to that, some Otocinclus, Corydoras and some Colombian tetras (H. columbianus) will be introduced.

I have some 'Hypotheses' as to how to explain my apparent success with Metynnis spp. in planted aquaria. I don't know which of these explain more, but I think all play some role -

Hyp. 1 - Some plants are unpalatable to them, hence they don't eat them or not beyond trying it.

Hyp. 2 - For whatever reasons, some of my individual fish don't seem to eat the plants (at least not much), and other fish can 'learn' from them. I should be able to use 'good role models' to teach new fish. My fish have come to me at 3 different times, the oldest (26 year olds) arriving first.

Hyp. 3 - Some plant eating is OK (on certain specific fast-growing plants), so long as it is not excessive and the plants can grow fast enough so as not to decline over time, thus maintaining themselves and looking good.

Yet another set of possibilities is related to how I feed them. I provide a varied diet, including 7 different types of pellets and flakes (insect & veggie based), frozen (insect, crustacean + Spirulina enriched), seeds and grains (sunflower + garbanzo), veggies (cucumber + nori). In addition, I provide frogbit + duckweed as permanent floating plants for food.

The truth is I don't really know the secret, but are enjoying some success, and I am trying to understand it and attain it once more in yet another tank.

Photo - Nori for breakfast!

Cheers!

There are several plants that I have been able to see thrive with my Metynnis spp. silver dollars, including my only specimen of M. altidorsalis (an adult male). I hope to get one or two female altidorsalis in the near future.

In the photo, he is in the foreground, the two other specimens are male M. lippincotianus. Floating plants (in floating corral) are Salvinia, place there as food, and replaced regularly. Rooted plants (not food) are Cryptocoryne wendii 'bronze' on floor mat at left, Microsorum pteropus (on wood, -but can be left floating), and Hygrophila sp. (at left, also could be left floating). In the back, there is some Bacopa monnieri, but they do eat that plant too much.

The same fish when he was in my other planted silver dollar tank, together with M. maculatus, and L. lipponcotianus. Same plants, plus rooted, Cryptocoryne usteriana. He is at left, bottom, partially covered.

In all his splendor ..

I am now in the process of consolidating my 2 Metynnis tanks into a single, larger planted tank, currently being set up. I will soon show it here!

Good luck!

For Central American tetras, there are several Astyanax species. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the only commonly available in the market are Astyanax fasciatus, and the blind tetras A. fasciatus mexicanus. Both of these are quite able of fending for themselves (usually) and are active enough to make a nice display. Other species are just never available.

Sorry to hear of the problem, Maggi.

I don't know what the issue may be be but it is possible that as you say, the hard water may be causing problems. It is worth considering further. However it is strange that the fish appear well for a long time, and then die without clear reason, within a short period of each other.

Another issue I would consider would be to provide a more varied diet, specifically including other types of animal food, such as cut-up small earthworms. It may be that a higher variety may do them better. Nothing wrong with the mosquito larvae, but more 'meaty' foods may improve conditions? A self sustaining worm bin is easy to set up.

I hope you figure it out, and good luck anyway!

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you so much for sharing. Would you care to describe your setup in more detail? What are the plant species you are using (very successfully, by the way)?

What tetra species is the group sporting an oblique line trough the tail and part of the body? Is it a species of Moenfhausia?, or a small Triportheus?

Again, gorgeous setup! Thanks.

[I just realized I did not translate to German...]

Hi Daniel,

Lucky you!

That sounds like a wonderful tank!

A few comments on the Tapajos biotope and the fish selection:

C .. regani is quite common (that's my understanding) and a setting in which they are prominently represented doesn't have to be Tapajos-specific.

H. pulchripinnis are also quite common and are primarily associated with the Tocantins Basin, not necessarily the Tapajos.

I love your choice of lemon tetras (H. pulchripinnis) as the numerous schooling fish that complement the rest of the setup. I love lemon tetra and currently have a smaller school (15 or so) in my tank that is considerably smaller than you plan on. Although Regani pike are much more peaceful than other species in the genus, they still grow tall (14cm or so) and I'm afraid some of the lemon tetra won't get past them unless there are plenty of rocks and wooden hiding spots , but also with these hiding places. That would be my only consideration regarding the stocking.

My only other comment would be to add some plants that may be attached to the tops of branches (thicker ones, not thin ones), although I realize that this would be difficult to do in true Tapajos fashion. But it would provide refuge for the little tetras and improve the overall aspect of the setup.

Sounds good! I look forward to seeing it. Good luck with that and thanks for sharing.

Francisco

Hi Daniel,

Lucky you!

That sounds like a wonderful tank!

A couple of comments on the Tapajos biotope and the fish choices:

C.. regani is quite widely distributed (that is my understanding) and a setting featuring them prominently does not need to be Tapajos-specific.

H. pulchripinnis are also rather broadly distributed, and mainly associated with the Tocantins basin, not necessarily the Tapajos.

I love your choice of lemon tetras (H. pulchripinnis) as the numerous schooling fish to complement the rest of the setup. I love lemon tetras and currently have a smaller school (15 or so) in my tank, which is considerably smaller than what you are planning. Although regani pikes are considerably more peaceful than other species of the genus, they still get large (14cm or so) and I fear that some of the lemon tetras may not be passed by them, unless there is a lot of rocks and wood hiding places, but even with these hiding places. That would be my only consideration about the stocking.

My only other comment would be to consider adding some plants, perhaps attached to upper parts of branches (thicker, not thin ones), although I realize this would be difficult in a true Tapajos manner. But It would add refuge to the small tetras and help enhance the overall aspect of the setup.

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing it. Good luck with it and thanks for sharing.

Francisco