Leitfähigkeit: anstieg im Aquarium.

• Hello everybody,

I write this in English because my German is not that good(reading=ok,but writing=not so ok...) I introduced myself somewhere in March 2013 and I maybe do not post a lot here but I read here everyday. Lots of good info on this forum :thumbup: My question; I have 5 Satanoperca daemon(2/3) ranging from 16 cm to nearly 26 cm in a 600 liter tank(with some Endler guppies and one female Ancistrus sp.) I keep them in nearly pure reverse osmosis water(about 90-95% Ro water+5-10% tap water). I change water every 7-10 days(about 40%). In and between waterchanges I noticed that the µS(leitfähigkeit) rises with 5-7µS each day.Given the fact that they get some food 2 times each day(one day in the week NO food) I think this is a normal rise yes? Or too much? What do the people here,who also work with soft water,think?

Best regards, Patrick.

• Hallo Patrick,

also ich finde den Anstieg schon recht stark. Eventuell hast du Steine oder Bodengrund, welcher das Wasser aufhärtet (KH)?
    Hat dein Aquarium eine Abdeckung, durch hohe Verdunstung kan die Leitfähigkeit auch steigen!

• Hallo Andre, stones no,but in the sand("bodengrund") I think a little bit yes. But when you give food the µS also goes up a little bit,yes? And then slowly, probably very slowly, the nitrate also goes up yes ("nitratanstieg"?). This also has an effect on µS I think. And my Kh is never more than 1. Thank you for your reply.

Best regards, Patrick

• Hallo Patrick,

hab ein offenes Aquarium und in etwa den gleichen Anstieg (5µS) obwohl ich zudünge (KNo3, MgSo4, Fe) und mehr füttere. Dafür habe ich mit sehr vielen Pflanzen aber auch Verbraucher. Also bei 5µS würde ich mir keine Sorgen machen. Es ist aber auch so, dass saures Wasser (Osmose PH6-6,5) alles an Einrichtung im Becken anfrisst mit der Zeit.

Wichtiger als die Leitfähigkeit sind die Huminstoffe. Bei sehr weichem und mineralarmen Wasser brauchen die Fische Huminstoffe, um die wenigen Mineralien gut aufnehmen zu können.

Despite daily fertilizer and probably a bit more food the gain in conductiviy in my tank (720L) is about the same. Im sure I got more plants which limit the daily gain. 5µS is nothing to worry about, whenever I notice it reached the mark (from 150 to 180/90) I perform like 20% water change and everthing is fine. The probably acid PH in the tank is eating the interior bit by bit and thereby conductivity rises.

More important: Make sure you got humins in solution, in soft water the fish need them to better assimilate the barely available minerals.

PS: Ja Nitrat als Endprodukt der Stickstoffkette steigert den Leitwert.

Viele Grüße,

Robert

• Hallo Robert, good info also,but yes, I have humins in solution. In the VAT where the osmosis water is "pre-prepared" for the waterchanges is a sack with peat and I also use a peat extract(from J*l) and even beech and oak leaves(buch- und eicheblatter?) leaves in one of the compartments of the filter.Also,the tank is covered for about 80%,so yes, in and between water changes there is a (very) little bit of water that evaporates. This will indeed have some influence on the µS rising a bit. But I use the same method as you; whenever my µS rises to 170-180,I also perform a waterchange of about 35-40%. Thanks for the info!

Best regards, Patrick